26 September 2008

An open letter to Twins fans

I know I'm on hiatus, but I've only spent the hiatus following baseball, and I need to vent.

I'm gonna try to refrain from writing a screed about the White Sox-Twins "rivalry" here. I'll just say I'm mad, I've seen these games before, and I have no one to blame for it but my own freaking team. Also, if the Metrodome would collapse tomorrow under its own suck, I wouldn't mind. Bring on Target Field!

Here's a question for the Twins fans I know. Is there any explanation for fans at the Metrodome throwing back a home run ball hit by an opposing player, other than they stole it from the Cub fans' own stupid tradition? When Justin Morneau hit a game-winning home run two rows behind me at the Metrodome last year, I wanted to catch and keep that ball. When Ken Griffey's 611th home run was caught on Wednesday, the guy had no qualms about flinging that back on the field.

Do some people think that's a tradition throughout baseball? Honestly?

Thanks for tolerating the vindictive nature of my question.

P.S. Justin Morneau's HR was caught by a Sox fan. He pretended to throw it back. Good times.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 26/9/08 07:16, Blogger Ose said...

Dear GGG,I know you're hurting right now, but that is no reason to belittle the institution that is the Hubert H. Humphry Metrodome or its inhabitants. Maybe spend this time planning some October ESL classes for White Sox management? Sincerely, a Twins fan

 
At 26/9/08 12:26, Blogger Your RHS said...

Dear GGG,

With some glee I watched last night as a happy scenario unfolded for me - the Cubs and Twins atop their divisions in September.

Happily I said to my wife, "Can you believe it? It's like the baseball gods said, 'Matt, here's one day just for you.'"

Her reply was not a happy dance, but a simple inquiry - "But won't this make Erik sad? What about his playoff tickets?"

I, of course, replied, "Playoffs? Playoffs?!?"

So, to echo the sentiments of FPM, long live the Metrodome and Nick Swisher's inability to check swing (no, I don't believe the 3rd base umpire was watching the same game as you and I).

Sincerely,

That Guy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home