06 October 2007

How sports are a distraction

I was initially reluctant to read an article in SI about the Hurricanes' head football coach, Randy Shannon, until I read a recommendation from the links on Bill Simmons's page. I truly regretted my earlier apprehension.

After reading the article (and so should you before reading further), I had a few thoughts about how Shannon goes about his life.

First, I guess I would call his story inspirational. His survival of the near-complete dissolution of his family and making it out of the Miami projects leaves me awestruck. It's another example of the power of sports; in this case, it provided a tether to his sanity, or more accurately, a rope out of the quicksand.

Second, I read missives SI disapproving how Shannon has raised four children by three different women. From the article, it was my impression that he regrets his past indiscretion, but at least he is present in the lives of his children, even if he isn't comfortable living with them. I think that is a by-product of his way of life, which leads to my last point.

Third, I admit it. I don't truly understand. I don't get it. I can't possibly imagine what it's like to have four siblings with drug addictions, eventually losing three to AIDS. Last week, my family's dog was put down. She was 14, and had a litany of health issues, so I wasn't remotely surprised. Still, she was around for over half of my life. However, reading this article gives me perspective in my sense of loss. My friends and family are a foundation I shouldn't take for granted.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home