19 March 2006

The vitriol, the pub, and other things*

I hate, hate, hate with hammers, Indiana roads. The speed limit on I-65 is 70 for cars, etc., 65 for trucks. This causes extremely annoying backups as the interstate turns into a two-lane highway whereever a convoy is present. This also leads to an inordinate amount of crashes, as I learned first-hand on October 28 last year. (I remember the date because I was in the Loop for the victory parade that morning.)

Going along the highway, you will see several tire tracks in the median, damage to signs and fencing, and random debris all over the place, suggesting that Indianans drive as well as the average Southerner does when it snows. Nice to see this complemented by the vast array of light-duty trucks, many of which are decoed with racing team logos.

Moving on to some lighter notes...

There's scary, then there's walking into a pub in Bloomington just before
Indiana plays in a second round game. It doesn't help when you are pulling for the guy whose mustache is as bad as your own.

I finally returned to the Waffle House this weekend, but not really. Turns out, the breakfast Mecca known as WaHo is called Waffle & Steak due to a competing presence in Indiana. This gives rise to the affectionate moniker, "WaSte."

For those scoring at home, I ordered a triple, had it scattered, then smothered, double covered, capped, and peppered. I also used tabasco and pepper, and used salsa, 57 sauce, and mustard at various points in the meal.

I was also disappointed to learn that "Ramblin' Man" wasn't on the jukebox.

"Wait Until Dark" is a pretty cool movie. Hollywood needs to get back to making movies based on plays, if Tom Stoppard ("Rosencrantz and Gildenstern Are Dead"), Neil Simon ("Barefoot in the Park"), and "Deathtrap" are any indication. Of course, I have no clue about the current state of affairs of New York or London theatre.

*Footnote: Title refers to the Cowsills, "The Rain, the Park, and Other Things." I figured some folks might get it, but as I have learned in the past, I seem to operate on a different wavelength from other folks.

1 Comments:

At 21/3/06 16:04, Blogger Sus said...

mmmmm want you smothered want you covered like my WaSte hashbrowns -
yeah doesn't have the same ring to it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home