20 April 2006

That coffee is like making love in a canoe

I just finished David Sedaris's Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim... as an audio book. I chose this undertaking because I drive a minimum of 100 minutes every weekday, and figured I could plow through somebody else reading the book for me in a reasonable amount of time. I only wish I had thought of this sooner, as I only have three weeks left in the semester, and the summer session doesn't start until June. I think Cold Mountain or the Da Vinci Code are next for me.

I've only read Me Talk Pretty One Day, but it allowed me to make some observations about this audio book, which was narrated by Sedaris. I have yet to attend any of his readings, but I now understand that he wasn't kidding about his voice. Fortunately, he has overcome the lisp he had as a child (except when I heard him say "tapas").

Sedaris's impression of his brother is amazing. I knew Paul had a proclivity for profanity, but I never considered that North Carolina would corrupt his accent. (Sedaris referred to Paul's Southern drawl in Dress Your Family..., but I don't recall this being mentioned in Me Talk Pretty...)

As a former expat (or should that be repat?), I especially enjoyed the discussion about ridiculous cultural comparisons in "Six to Eight Black Men." I can't remember how a rooster call sounds in Japanese. I am bothered enough to want to call somebody in Japan to find out right now.

So...yeah, read this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home