07 April 2006

Haven't had much to say lately...

...so I will write about what I've done lately.

Although this opinion has been expressed to me ad infinitum by some people, this week's episode of Gilmore Girls has compelled me to do the same here. Rory's a bitch.

I started this about a month ago, so I think it's safe to say this and not jinx my, dare I say, routine. I'm actually waking up at 6:30 and running in the mornings. After two weeks, I was already noticing a difference, although I run for less than 20 minutes and little more than a mile. We'll see if my knee holds up. (Thankfully, I have never had shin splints.) (Knocking furiously on wood.)

Like a total jackass, I put 1200 miles on my car during spring break, in trips to Indiana, and every town in Iowa home to a state university. During that time, I made curry (Japanese), did somebody else's dishes, drank too much, played with a 34-month old (twice), and dined at the illustrous Legends in Ames, a seventh floor restaurant from which you can see the skyline of ISU. I saw mostly sky. (Thank you, thank you, the 9:30 is completely different from the 7:30; it gets a little blue.)

Work has been pretty good, albeit lazy at times. I find that I can never guess anybody's age anymore, and I find that these students are my age more often than the folks fresh out of high school.

One of my students (at least my age) is trying to learn basic geometry concepts and doing poorly. I had always attributed it to poor study habits and work ethic, but I've learned there is a more substantial reason. Last night, when asked 7 times 4, he replied, "I don't know that off the top of my head." He has been trying to calculate the area of a rectangle without rote knowledge of the multiplication tables.

Next Friday, there is no school because of, get this, "Reading Day." Gotta love those Christians. I'm sure there will be lots of reading.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home