03 December 2005

See it again for the first time

To preface this post, I have seen "Bend It Like Beckham" before, but a debate had arisen over Jonathan Rhys-Meyers. I soon learned that, like most debates, we were arguing different points.

GGG's stance: Jonathan Rhys-Meyers is a bad actor. His face shows as much expression as Harrison Ford, Keanu Reaves, and Chris Klein (to go in descending order by generation).

SSBar/Lis's stance: Rhys-Meyers gets really hot in the second half of the film. (Normally, this wouldn't be a debate at all, but it had been a while since any of us had seen the movie, so, admittedly, I wasn't thinking straight.)

To settle matters, I sit down and watch the movie while I'm in Indiana last weekend. I am directed to the exact moment when Rhys-Meyers becomes hot (when he is wearing his button-down from work and actually does something to his hair). I whole-heartedly agree.

However, his acting "ability" still consists of two faces (at most). I suppose if he were in a drama or an action film, he would probably show an "angry" face, but not here.

So, checking where he picked up the name Rhys-Meyers (a sorta Welsh name, but he's Irish), I check his IMDb page, and find this gem of a quote:

"Being an actor is the easiest job. Just say the lines."

Case closed. Everybody wins. Especially REES-Meyers.

Of course, I loved Bend It Like Beckham (and Velvet Goldmine, for that matter), so I have no point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home