05 July 2006

I'm sick of penalty kicks

Sorry, more soccer musings.

Anyways, I hate how a penalty in the box is an automatic goal (or to paraphase the Bry-man, 75% of the time, it's a goal every time). So, with my friend Mariano, I have devised an alternative that won't go far past this site.

In the spirit of hockey, I say the offending defender gets sent off the pitch for, say five minutes. It's negotiable. But having one guy off in "o jogo bonito" doesn't have the effect it does in hockey, where you lose 20% of your offense. So, the managers get one of two options for an additional short-term advantage:

A. They can add an extra player to the pitch for the same time period, making it 12-10 in normal play.

B. Their team can be allowed offsides for those five minutes.

I don't believe this is against the spirit of soccer (or whatever your druthers), but if you disagree, or have comments, please discuss.

5 Comments:

At 6/7/06 08:48, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't hate the penalty kick but I dislike the way it is treated. Because a penalty kick is such a steep penalty, refs refuse to call otherwise illegal play inside the penalty box. We all know accidents happen and you shouldn't punish a team with a "free goal" but what's illegal is illegal. My mom would say "'Tough tittie,' said the kitty."

I have never verified this and this is strictly anecdotal but in the history of penalty kick was it true you used to not even have the keeper in the box? I was always told that the reasoning was that it is a gentleman's game and to commit an offense to rob someone of a goal is deserving of a basic free goal. This was told to me by Gary Noble, ref extraordinaire and Chuck Norris impersonator. Dude had a major self esteem problem that he took out on U-14 Classics teams.

 
At 6/7/06 11:04, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd never heard the bit about no goalie, so I did some research, and there was always a goalie.

In fact, they used to be able to move a lot more, but the penalty taker had a much larger area from which to kick the ball.

There's a pretty good article at http://www.fifa.com/en/news/index/0,1464,22688,00.html?articleid=22688 which lays out how the rules were adopted.

 
At 6/7/06 12:42, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's what I get for trusting a man that deliberately looks like Chuck Norris.

One thing that I imagine has changed since the rule started was the speed and spin at which a shot is kicked. Another unfair thing is the keeper's inability to move until the ball is kicked. The kicker is able to dodge and "fake" so why can't the keeper dodge at the same time.

We Americans should manly up a sport that's not ours. Maybe something like that old commercial where the goals shrank and moved around and I think there were jetpacks(?). Jetpacks are the answer for everything.

 
At 11/7/06 02:21, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ball this year also made things harder for goalies, it shakes more in the air so its harder for a keeper to judge the thing.

 
At 12/7/06 11:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah!

To listen to the goalies tell it, the World Cup ball is a G** d***ed wiffle ball.

If you're one of the best keepers in the world, the ball dodging, dipping, ducking, diving, and dodging a little shouldn't be a problem.

Furthermore, having watched much of the World Cup, the ball didn't seem to do anything that I hadn't seen a ball do many times in flight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home